Monday, April 24, 2023

Lectio Template 155

  "The Lord is my shepherd..."

We invite you to a few minutes of silence before we begin our prayer time together.

Take a deep breath and breathe in the breath of God, knowing by faith that God breathes into us the breath of life.

CONTEMPLATIVE / SILENT PRAYER

Our Centering Prayer sit is 20 - 30 minutes sounded by the chime/chant.  At the end of the Prayer sit, we will linger in silence a few minutes, then follow by praying together the Our Father.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

LECTIO DIVINA: Listening to the Word of God with the ears of our heart [See Chopping Wood (or Carrots) Under the Gaze of God for a discussion of Lectio Divina]. 

First reading & silent reflection:  Reflect in silence.


*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

LECTIO: from Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; 
       I shall not be in want.
 He makes me lie down in green pastures 
       and leads me beside still waters.
 He revives my soul 
       and guides me along right pathways for his Name’s sake.
 
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I shall fear no evil; 
       for you are with me;
       your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
 You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; 
       you have anointed my head with oil,
       and my cup is running over.
 Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, 
       and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Second reading & reflection: What word or phrase catches your attention? Share or pass...

Third reading & reflection:  How does this word or phrase touch your life? Share or pass.

Fourth and last reading & silent reflection:  How is God inviting you to grow?  We will reflect in silence for a few moments before we move from Lectio Prayer to the teaching by Father Keating or another contemplative guide.

Teaching: 

I surrender myself to God without any conditions or reservations. I shall not bargain with [God]. I shall not make my surrender piecemeal but I shall lay bare the very center of me, that all of my very being shall be charged with the creative energy of God. Little by little, or vast area by vast area, my life must be transmuted in the life of God. As this happens, I come into the meaning of true freedom and the burdens that I seemed unable to bear are floated in the current of the life and love of God.

    The central element in communion with God is the act of self-surrender. 

    
      --Howard Thurman, Meditations of the Heart, 175.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

We now take some time to share our thoughts and reflections on our own spiritual journey and our prayer practice.  Followed by brief prayers of intercession. Share or pass.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Go in the name of Christ Jesus to love and serve the Lord.  Thanks be to God!
------------------------------

[This is an adapted format courtesy of Martha Johnston, Contemplative Outreach of Maryland and Washington, DC]

No comments:

Post a Comment