Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Lectio Template 190

 "Lord, [you] are acquainted with all my ways."

We invite you to a few minutes of silence before we begin o[ur prayer time together.

Take a deep breath and breathe in the breath of God, knowing by faith that God breathes into us the breath of life.

CONTEMPLATIVE / SILENT PRAYER

Our Centering Prayer sit is 20 - 30 minutes sounded by the chime/chant.  At the end of the Prayer sit, we will linger in silence a few minutes, then follow by praying together the Our Father.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

LECTIO DIVINA: Listening to the Word of God with the ears of our heart [See Chopping Wood (or Carrots) Under the Gaze of God for a discussion of Lectio Divina]. 

First reading & silent reflection:  Reflect in silence.


*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

LECTIO: from Psalm 139: 1-5; 12-17


Lord, you have searched me out and known me;
       you know my sitting down and my rising up;
       you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places 
       and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips, 
       but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before 
       and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; 
       it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
For you yourself created my inmost parts; 
       you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I will thank you because I am marvelously made; 
       your works are wonderful, and I know it well.


 

Second reading & reflection: What word or phrase catches your attention? Share or pass...


Third reading & reflection:  How does this word or phrase touch your life? Share or pass.

Fourth and last reading & silent reflection:  How is God inviting you to grow?  We will reflect in silence for a few moments before we move from Lectio Prayer to the teaching by Father Keating or another contemplative guide.

Teaching: 


The goal of genuine spiritual practice is not the rejection of the good things of the body, mind, or spirit, but the right use of them. No aspect of human nature or period of human life is to be rejected but integrated into each successive level of unfolding consciousness. In this way, the partial goodness proper to each stage of human development is preserved and only its limitations are left behind. The way to become divine is thus to become fully human.

--Thomas Keating, Open Mind, Open Heart, p. 131. 

 *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

We now take some time to share our thoughts and reflections on our own spiritual journey and our prayer practice.  Followed by brief prayers of intercession. Share or pass.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Go in the name of Christ Jesus to love and serve the Lord.  Thanks be to God!
------------------------------

[This is an adapted format courtesy of Richard and Linda Hall, Contemplative Outreach of Maryland and Washington, DC] 

No comments:

Post a Comment